Skip to main content

What Self Love is.

 I got new slippers. I noticed that I clean it very often. My slippers are so pretty I don't let anyone mess with them. Yes, I clean all my footwear, but I give special attention to these navy blue slippers because I love them. 

I give similar care to my phone, my black backpack which I carry almost always. As I watch myself care so much for these things I paid for, and can easily replace, I ask myself why I don't care for myself like I care for my stuff. Funny right? I really can get a prettier navy blue slippers, and another black backpack I'd love, but I'd never get another me, and I love these things more than I love me? 

Oh I know you'd tell me I love me a lot, and that's why I get myself pretty stuff, but if I love me, why then have I let my thoughts about myself be an unhealthy place for me? Why do I let myself think that I am not enough? Or that I can never get to the top? Why do I constantly put myself down? Why do I wish I had someone else's face or body? Why do I think I need to look a certain way to fit in? Tell me, why do I stay in a relationship that constantly breaks me? 

Well, many of you that read this are just like me. We smile and act like we have it all figured out, but deep down, we know we should love ourselves more. A reason today, we'd be discussing self-love. 


Self Love is self-care. It is caring about one's well-being. Self Love is wanting yourself to be happy. It is choosing one's self. Now self Love is very different from narcism(excessive love for one's self), a reason you should never feel guilty for loving yourself. It is a very commendable quality to be empathetic, but not praiseworthy to not show love and respect to yourself. You should never feel guilty for choosing yourself. You ask: how can I love myself? How can I show care to myself? Read further to find out. 

We can show Self Love by:

1. Taking Care of our body: This is an important aspect of Self Love. To take care of our body, we must eat healthily, sleep well, exercise often, take medication when necessary, bathe often, the list goes on... we must take care of our hair, nails, skin, etc. 

2. Watching our thoughts:  If you heard before now that our thoughts shape our lives and you refused to believe that, then you should now. Because our thoughts do shape our lives. We spend a large part of our lives in our heads. We must make our head a beautiful place to live in. If you keep telling yourself you're not enough, you really would never be enough. This brings us to the next point:

3. Watch Your Words: Sounds familiar? Well, it's cause you have to watch the words you say. No, today we're not talking about others we're talking about YOU. Watch the words you say to yourself. Say kind and positive words to yourself because you deserve the love you give out freely to others. You deserve to be loved by YOU. 

4. Rest When You're Tired: Dear, you're not indefatigable. Whoever said you're incapable of becoming tired lied to you. Yes, you're human and that's why you get tired sometimes, that's why you just want out. I'd say to you, if you ever get tired, rest. Yes b, tell yourself: " I'm gonna rest a while because I love me." Rest dear. You no be machine. Truth is, getting enough rest could boost your productivity. You have to learn to listen to your body. 

5. Pray: Now you're wondering how prayer got into the talk. Dear, you're not Almighty. That post already belongs to God. Many things in life would be beyond your control. You'd have to ask God for help if you don't want to ruin yourself, if you don't want to be consumed by grief and confusion. Ask God to help you. To grant you ease. It's a form of self-care baby. 



6. Believe in Yourself: So many times, we desperately want family and friends to believe in us. We want them to believe that we can. And we use their belief in us as a form of motivation. Now, this isn't wrong. But what is wrong is when we don't believe in ourselves. Believe in yourself, dear. Believe that you can, and you will. 


7. Spend Some Time with Yourself: Spending time with yourself doesn't mean that you're alone, and don't have people who want to be with you. It's a form of self-care. Once in a while, we need to spend time with ourselves to meditate. You have to learn to enjoy your own company. That's one of the ways you'll grow. 

8. Do What You Love: This is an interesting trick to being happy. Find out what you love, and do it. Baby, you matter too. 

I'd let my pen rest here. Tell me in the comments section what Self Love is to you. Tell me how you show yourself, love, how you spoil yourself, and when you learnt that loving yourself is important too. I'm eager to read from you. If you found this helpful, please share it with your friends, family and enemies. Thanks for reading

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Awwwwn agba blogger! Twale baba. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I think the relatability in your blogpost is commendable.

    I learnt to love myself when it seemed that my life was going under. I was constantly sad and depressed; i got tired of it one day and decided to go the positive direction.

    Guess what? Positive is best! Thank you Zaynerb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I love you for this comment? Yes! Thanks for reading b. You're right, positive is always best.

      Delete
  3. This is what I actually need to read right now. Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Friendship Is

"It's just me, myself and I". This was my status on one of my social media accounts some years back. This saying also played a great role in my life. I was a lone wolf. I didn't have friends and I didn't want friends. I thought I was complete all by myself. I thought I didn't need the company of others. I didn't understand the importance and sweetness of friendship until I got a taste of it. Friendship I realised was the basis of any good relationship. We're course mates and we have a group work together? I realised that it was easier to work on group projects with friends. And that working on group projects became easier and more fun, when my course mates became my friends. Friendship I've realised goes beyond words. Friendship is love. Friendship is patience. Friendship is arguments, it is small fights and it is forgiveness. Friendship is company. Friendship is food when there's famine. Friendship is hope in moments of despair. Friendshi

How Inspiration Comes

It comes in form of a rush. I mean my inspiration. Just a moment ago, it wasn't here and now its here. One thing I'm sure of - if I don't put this down right now, it'll be gone and I wouldn't have it back. If by chance I get it back, it wouldn't be the way it came now. Inspiration's weird right? But what can we do? Have I mentioned already that its inspiration to write that I refer to in this post? I like to sleep with a pen and paper on my bed, because right when I close my eyes to sleep, that's when the words come to me. Now I have two options. I either close my eyes and dream, or I pick up my pen and paper to pour down ink. The end result of the first is a good sleep. While the end result of the second, is what you now read. Well then, this doesn't mean that when I drop my pen, I wouldn't sleep. I still will. But inspiration comes from several other things. Inspiration could come from how the clock ticks. It could come from how your

Amazing Facts About Classroom Teachers

Guide, conduct, pass on knowledge, educate, instruct - these are words you'll find associated with teachers. Who is a teacher?         A teacher isn't necessarily the one in a classroom, with a cane in his hand telling you to solve problems in maths, with you going like.. "Sir, how does this equation help my life???".      A teacher is one that educates you. Guides you and gives you instructions that helps grow your knowledge in a particular field. While a teacher could be a friend, a parent, a relative or a random person on the street - all that's needed for a person to qualify as a teacher is that he passes on knowledge. Our focus today, is the classroom teacher. Classroom teachers are as beautiful as every other teacher . Maybe even more beautiful. Classroom teachers are professional personnel who work with students as a whole. Whether in a classroom, in small groups or one-on-one meeting inside or outside a regular classroom. AMAZING FACTS ABOUT CL